Return to Headlines
2021-2022 Safe Learning Plan
On July 28, 2021, guidance for schools for the fall of 2021 was released by the Minnesota Commissioner of Education. This is how the guidance will be implemented in Willmar Public School District.
- Face Coverings - Federal regulations state that face coverings continue to be required for students and staff while riding on school-provided transportation (buses). Face coverings are strongly encouraged, but not required, while on school property for any student, staff member, or visitor, regardless of whether or not they have been vaccinated.
- COVID Testing - Frequent COVID testing is encouraged for staff and students.
- Nursing - Nursing services will be available to address COVID-related concerns. Nurses will offer support with screening staff and students for COVID-related symptoms.
- Instructional Models - School will be in-person, with support offered to students who need to be absent for COVID-related reasons. Distance learning and hybrid models will not be utilized unless required by the Minnesota Department of Education. There is an option available for families who prefer distance learning through a program with Southwest West Central Services Cooperative. Parents interested in this option should contact the office at their child’s school.
- Contact Tracing - Contact tracing will be conducted to determine close contacts to positive COVID cases. Once the close contacts of the positive case have been identified (six feet or less for a cumulative 15 minutes or more); those staff/students/families will be contacted by phone and a follow-up letter that they have been identified as a close contact. We will explain that the 14 days of quarantine is still the safest option but we will allow students/staff to continue to attend as long as they are monitored closely for that 14 days for symptoms. If symptoms develop during that time, the individual would need to test before they could return to school in less than 14 days. This "no quarantine" option would only be available to those that are identified as close contacts at school or outside of the home; if it is a household person that is positive they would need to do the full 14 days of quarantine.
- Quarantine - Positive cases will need to complete the 10-day minimum isolation period. Close contacts within a household will be required to complete a 14-day quarantine. Fully vaccinated students or staff will not be subject to quarantine.
- Physical Distancing - Attempts will be made to provide as much space between students as possible. Because maintaining space is difficult, if not impossible in many of our settings, it will be critical for staff and students to self-monitor for potential COVID-19 symptoms, and stay home when they aren’t feeling well.
- Vaccinations- Vaccinations for eligible students and staff will not be required, but are strongly encouraged.
- Hand Hygiene - Appropriate hand washing will be encouraged for all staff and students.
- Cleaning - Willmar Public Schools will continue its commitment to providing safe, clean, and attractive learning environments.
If you wish to give feedback on this plan, please click here.