English Learners (EL) Program
Willmar Public Schools (WPS) welcomes English Learners (EL) and the rich diversity they bring to our schools. Like all of our students, ELs have the right to a quality education that prepares them for post-secondary education after high school.
The EL Programs at WPS support learners in developing English so that they can succeed in school and beyond. Supplemental language instruction is delivered by licensed EL teachers and highly qualified EL paraprofessionals at elementary, middle school and high school levels.
EL services in Willmar Public Schools ensure that:
- Students enhance their English skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing
- Students have access to quality school curriculum
- Students are supported to reach high academic standards in English and content areas from grades K-12
- Students learn in a setting supportive of their native language and culture
- Families can fully participate in the education of their children
- 39% of Willmar Public Schools students have a home language other than English.
- 26 languages are spoken by students in Willmar Public Schools. Of those languages - 48% Spanish, 45% Somali & 4% Karen
- Some of the other languages spoken in Willmar Public Schools include: Amharic, Anuak, Arabic, Burmese, Chinese, Estonian, Ewe, Filipino, French, German, Gujarati, Korean, Lingala, Nuer, Ojibwa, Quichua, Russian, American Sign Language, Swahili, and Vietnamese
For more information please contact Carrie Thomas, Director of Teaching & Learning, at 320-231-8477 or via email at email@example.com.