Welcome to 4th Grade at Roosevelt Elementary
Use the left navigation menu to meet our 4th Grade team.
4th Grade Essential Learning Outcomes September 2017
Reading Essential Outcomes
- Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text; summarize the text
- Determine the main idea of a text and explain how it is supported by key details; summarize the text.
Writing Essential Outcomes
- Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly: (a) Introduce a topic clearly and group related information in paragraphs and sections; include formatting (e.g., headings), illustrations, and multimedia when useful to aiding comprehension. (b) Develop the topic with facts, definitions, concrete details, quotations, or other information and examples related to the topic. (c) Link ideas within categories of information using words and phrases (e.g., another, for example, also, because). (d) Use precise language and domain-specific vocabulary to inform about or explain the topic. (e) Provide a concluding statement or section related to the information or explanation presented.
- Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development and organization are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
Publish Literary Response
Write a response to a story or article in this unit. Use a graphic organizer to plan writing. Trait—Ideas, Conventions Focus on introducing the writing process, use exemplars, and 6-Traits
Pronouns, Complete Sentences and Idioms
Math Essential Learning Outcomes
Number Sense– Unit 2 Multiplication/Place Value
- Demonstrate fluency with multiplication and division facts.
- Use an understanding of place value to multiply a number by 10, 100 and 1000.
- Multiply multi-digit numbers, using efficient and generalizable procedures, based on knowledge of place value, including standard algorithms.
- Estimate products and quotients of multi-digit whole numbers by using rounding, benchmarks and place value to assess the reasonableness of results.
- Solve multi-step real-world and mathematical problems requiring the use of addition, subtraction and multiplication of multi-digit whole numbers. Use various strategies, including the relationship between operations.
- Use strategies and algorithms based on knowledge of place value, equality and properties of operations to divide multi-digit whole numbers by one- or two-digit numbers. Strategies may include mental strategies, partial quotients, the commutative, associative, and distributive properties and repeated subtraction.