Welcome to 1st Grade at Roosevelt Elementary
Use the left navigation menu to meet our 1st Grade team.
Learning Objectives Sept 2017
- Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words: (g): Recognize and read grade-appropriate irregularly spelled words, including high-frequency words.
- Demonstrate understanding of the organization and basic features of print: (a) Recognize the distinguishing features of a sentence (e.g., first word, capitalization, ending punctuation).
- Build routines and stamina using the word wall (clap and snap—ex: t-h-e: the).
Week 1 compacted – Word study- short a/i, phonics, and HFW on word wall
Week 2 compacted – Word study– short o/e, phonics, and HFW on word wall
Week 3 compacted -- Word study– short u, phonics, and HFW on word wall
Reading Essential Outcomes:
- Describe characters, settings, and major events in a story, using key details.
- (Lit)- Use illustrations and details in a story to describe its characters, setting, or events. (Inf.)- Ask and answer questions about key details in a text
- With prompting and support, read informational texts appropriately complex for grade 1, as well as select texts for personal enjoyment, interest, and academic tasks.
Writing Essential Outcomes:
- Write narratives and other creative texts in which they recount two or more appropriately sequenced events, include some details regarding what happened, use temporal words to signal event order, and provide some sense of closure. (Narrative— Focus on 6-Trait Ideas — Writing topics: First days of schools, pets, family, friends— incorporate sentence frames— journaling)
- Produce complete sentences when appropriate to task and situation, and respond to stories, poems, rhymes and songs with expression.
Math Essential Outcomes
- Recognize the relationship between counting and addition and subtraction. Skip count by 2s, 5s, and 10s.
- Read, write, and represent whole numbers up to 120. Representations may include numerals, + and -, pictures, tallies, number lines and manipulatives, such as bundles of sticks and base ten blocks.
- Compare and order whole numbers up to 120
- Count, with and without objects, forward and backward from any given number up to 120.