Welcome to 5th Grade at Roosevelt Elementary
Use the left navigation menu to meet our 5th Grade team.
5th Grade Essential Learning Outcomes for September 2019
- Describe how a narrator's or speaker's point of view influences how events are described.
- Analyze multiple accounts by various cultures of the same event or topic, noting important similarities and differences in the point of view they represent.
- Determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 5 topic or subject area.
- Write narratives and other creative texts to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique, descriptive details, and clear event sequences: (a) Orient the reader by establishing a situation and introducing a narrator and/or characters; organize an event sequence that unfolds naturally. (b) Use literary and narrative techniques, such as dialogue, description, and pacing, to develop experiences and events or show the responses of characters to situations. (c) Use a variety of transitional words, phrases, and clauses to manage the sequence of events. (d) Use concrete words and phrases and sensory details to convey experiences and events precisely. (e) Provide a conclusion (when appropriate to the genre) that follows from the narrated experiences or events.
- Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development and organization are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
- Write routinely over extended time frames (time for research, reflection, and revision) and shorter time frames (a single sitting or a day or two) for a range of discipline-specific tasks, purposes, and audiences: (a) Independently select writing topics and formats for personal, enjoyment interest, and academic tasks.
- Conventions of Standard English grammar when writing or speaking.
- Acquire and Use accurately grade-appropriate general academic and domain-specific words and phrases.
- Use of conventions, Expand, Combine, and Reduce Sentences, Compare/Contrast Varieties of English
- Published Published Personal Narrative: What are the components of a good Narrative? 6-Trait- Voice see page T 70 6 Trait Writing Rubric
- Focus on introducing the writing process. Use exemplars and mentor texts for modeling each project. 6 Trait Conventions is emphasized when editing in the writing process.
Math Essential Outcomes
- Number Theory: Read and write decimals from the millionths to the millions. Find 0.1; 0.01; or 0.001 more or less than a number.
- Round numbers to the nearest 0.1; 0.01; or 0.001, and compare and order whole numbers and decimals.
- Addition & Subtraction: Estimate, solve real-world and mathematical problems, add and subtract decimals & whole numbers