• Who Can Receive Special Education Services?

    To qualify for special education services a child must meet criteria and be identified as a child with a disability. The school will conduct an evaluation to document the existence of a disability. The results of the evaluation will be used to determine your child’s areas of need (such as reading, math and written language). With parent input, goals will be written to improve the areas of need identified. These goals will be written on a document called an Individualized Educational Program (IEP)/ Individual Family Service Plan (IFSP). Specialized instruction may be provided in the areas of need. Special education areas of need may include:

    • Reading Skills
    • Math Skills
    • Written Language Skills
    • Expressive/Receptive Communication Skills
    • Self-Regulation Skills
    • Gross/Fine Motor Skills
    • Transition to Independent Living Skills

    Related Services may include:

    •  Occupational therapy
    • Speech therapy
    • Physical therapy
    • DAPE
    • Social Work
    • Nursing services

    Related services cannot be provided unless the student is already receiving a special education service in a disability area, such as a learning disability. The related service is only provided if the student requires the service in order to make progress on their IEP/IFSP goals.