Varsity Orchestra2019-20 Varsity Orchestra Concert/Event Schedule
Monday, October 14 WHS Fall Showcase Concert 7:30 pm WHS Gym
Monday, December 9 Holiday 9-12 Orchestra Concert 7:30 pm WHS BPAC
Wednesday, February 26 Region 8AA Orchestra S/E Contest All Day Willmar
Friday, March 13 Deadline for All State auditions (uploaded)
Monday, March 16 9-12 Orchestra Concert 7:30 pm WHS BPAC
Wednesday, April 8 8AA Large Group Band/Orchestra Contest All Day Tech
Monday, April 13 All District String Festival 7:00 pm WHS Gym
Monday, May 11 MS/Varsity Spring Orchestra Concert 7:30 pm WHS BPAC
* Highlighted concert dates/events are required by all Varsity Orchestra students. Non-highlighted ones are optional.
Thursday, September 5 Coupon Book Kick-off During School Music Rooms
Monday, September 23 Coupon Book Money Due
Saturday, October 5 Mills Ford Fundraiser 9:00 am–4:00 pm Mills Ford Willmar
Monday, October 14 Music Matters Fall Kick-off 6:00 pm WHS Cafeteria
Friday, November 1 Fruit Fundraiser #1 Kick-off During School
Monday, November 11 Fruit Orders Due
Tuesday, December 10 Fruit Delivery during P/T Conf. 3:00–5:00 pm WHS Band Room
Friday, January 24 Fruit Fundraiser #2 Kick-off During School
Monday, February 3 Fruit Orders Due
Tuesday, February 25 Fruit Delivery 3:00-4:30 pm WHS Band Room
Saturday, April 25 Mills Ford Fundraiser 9:00 am-4:00 pm Mills Ford Willmar
The goal of ensemble work is to be uniform in our presentation. This includes uniformity in our appearance. Varsity Orchestra members will wear all black dress pants, black socks, and black dress shoes with a music department polo shirt purchased at school. Sophomores already have this red polo shirt; ninth grade students will purchase one during the first week of school.
Concert Participation Policy
All music students MUST participate in all concerts, contests, and festivals for their ensemble.
The mandatory performance dates for Varsity Orchestra are highlighted above.
An unexcused absence from a concert will lower the student’s final grade for the term ONE LETTER GRADE. An unexcused concert absence CANNOT be made up.
The only excuses for missing a concert are:
- Personal illness (absent from school the day of or day after; being sick just for the evening is not excused.) * an email notifying the director is appreciated
- Family emergency
- Immediate family wedding or immediate family graduation.
(Written notices must be given to the director at least one month before the concert.)
- Vacations planned in advance of school year. (Must be specified by
the end of the first week of school.)
For excused absences, a makeup assignment will be required.
Please communicate with relatives who may purchase tickets or arrange travel for you. It is important they are aware of your concert dates and your commitment to your ensemble so that your grade doesn’t suffer from their good intentions!
1. Rehearsal Skills 40% (contributing positively to rehearsals; showing active interest in the class; working hard to improve musicianship individually and as an ensemble) * Points are deducted from “rehearsal skills” each time a student is absent from class. They may be made up by coming in before school or during zero hour and practicing; 20 minutes of practice equals one make-up. It is the student's responsibility to keep track of absences and to schedule practice sessions. Students may also make up rehearsal points by scheduling a lesson with the director for extra assistance with music.
2. Performance Skills 40% (posture, rhythm, intonation, bowing, style) * Each term students will be assessed on scales and/or orchestral literature. Retaking performance assessments is an option if you would like to improve your skills and score; it is your responsibility to check your score on student portal, practice, and schedule a time to retake the test.
3. Written Skills 20% (evaluations, written assignments, quizzes)
* Be respectful and courteous to everyone.
* Respect property.
* Come to orchestra prepared: instrument, folder, pencil, iPad, on time, in seat, tuned.
* No gum, food, or drink other than water during rehearsal.
* No electronic devices may be used unless given permission by the director.